Potatoes are absolutely amazing. They give us such delicious treats like mashed potatoes, french fries, tater tots and so much more… all delicious but not the best for those of us trying to watch our carbs and starches. Mother Nature is absolutely amazing in the fact that she has given us an equally delicious substitute that we can enjoy just the same… Cauliflower. Yes, you read that right. Cauliflower is the healthy “potato”!
Food guru Kelly Senyei gives us this awesome recipe for potato-less cauliflower tots, a.k.a. a veggie-packed, slightly cheesy, absolutely easy alternative to the traditional tater tots we all know and love.
Yield: About 35 tots Prep Time: 30 min Cook Time: 45 min
• 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into florets
• 1/4 cup small diced onion
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
• 1 large egg
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a nonstick baking sheet liberally with cooking spray.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets to the water and cook them just until fork tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Thoroughly drain the florets and transfer them to a food processor. Pulse the cauliflower for a few seconds just until the it breaks down into small pieces (about the size of grains of rice). (Do not overmix the cauliflower or the mixture will be too wet to form.)
3. Measure out 3 packed cups of the cauliflower and add it to a large bowl. (See Kelly’s Notes.) Stir in the diced onion, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, mixing until thoroughly combined. (The mixture should be roughly the consistency of mashed potatoes.) Using your hands, scoop up 1- to 2-tablespoons of the mixture and mold it into a tater tot shape. Place it on the prepared baking sheet and repeat the shaping process with the remainder of the mixture, spacing the tots about 1 inch apart.
4. Bake the tots for about 20 minutes then flip them and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until crisped. Remove and serve with ketchup, pesto, hummus or your preferred dipping sauce.
I absolutely love these!